- Offer Profile
- The Department focuses on new
technologies and aims at promoting and disseminating technology innovation.
The Department is active in the research fields of: Civil Engineering,
Computer Science, Controls and Robotics, Industrial Engineering and
Management, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Nanotechnology and
Systems for Energy and Environment
Monocylinder diesel engine
- Experimental monocylinder diesel engine, with common rail
injection system, fully equipped to study traditional and dual-fuel
combustion, with optical accesses and transparent piston.
- Experimental setup for imaging study of charged
hydrocarbon droplet combustion. Faster combustion can be achieved by
electrostatically charging liquid fuel to enhance fuel-air mixing.
wind farm optimization
- Numerical and experimental characterization of wind farm
in order to optimize the layout
- Computational modeling and experimental validation of
horizontal heat exchangers for GSHPs in linear, slinky and helicoidal
- Numerical and experimental characterization of a plate
compact multipass counter flow and locally cross-flow recuperator.
Energy certification of buildings
- Definition of operating procedures for the diagnosis and
energy certification of buildings, design of private and public buildings
with limited energy consumption and low environmental impact.
- A pilot plant realized with a Stirling engine with 1 Kw
power combined with a biomasses boiler for the production of heat and
Materials Science and Technology
Hydrogel block with a complex channel pattern obtained by stereolithography.
- Filament winding in the composite materials lab at DII.
- Ultrasonic probes fitted into the fixtures of a parallel
plate rheometer (Rheometric Scientific): pulse-echo (left) and
through-transmission (right) configuration.
- Silica part obtained by stereolithography (green on the
right and sintered on the left).
Composite materials moulding
- Bladder moulded composite component.
- Prototype moulding obtained using a mix of virgiun and
recycled PE (Courtesy Telcom, Ostuni, Italy).
- Jute reinforced composite obtained using a cardanol based
Graphics and Software Architectures
3D stereoscopic navigation
- Immersive 3D stereoscopic navigation through an head
Mounted Display within a collaborative virtual environment rendered by the
high resolution framework OpenWebTalk. The framework has been projected and
developed by the GSA-Lab. In the background the same 3d environment is
projected by the stereoscopic projectors.
3D collaborative virtual environment
- A 3D collaborative virtual environment rendered by the
WebTalk04 framework. Through this architecture we can provide collaborative
sessions completely configurable.
High Energy Physics
High energy cosmic ray
- A very high energy cosmic ray simultaneously detected by
the Fluorescence Detector (FD) and the Surface Detector (SD) - 21st May
- A masonry edge vault strengthened with fiber-reinforced
polymer (FRP) composites at the intrados of the lateral arches.The scaled
prototype is 2.5m x 2.5m in plan and 1.7m high.
Testing of a masonry edge vault: test setup and instrumentation.
- Masonry edge vault tested under uniform loading: cracking
pattern at the intrados of the vault before collapse.
- Autopilot for a virtual prototype aircraft implemented in
Adams, the multibody software produced by MSC.Software. The autopilot was
part of the Smart Pilot project.
- The seismic vulnerability study has been performed on
particular kinds of vaults (edge vaults, suared vaults), by finite element
analysis and exsperimental modal analysis.
Mechanics for Machines and Mechanical Systems
- Integrity state of components subjected to
- Dynamic models of chains.
Digital processing of dinamic signals
- Digital processing of dinamic signals for damage
Multilayered structural components
- Multilayered structural components: dynamic analyses,
mode and measurements.
Human subjects subjected to vibrations
- Physiological analyses on human subjects subjected to
- The image shows a possible application of the ontology to
a multi-agent system: the architecture allows the communication between a
domain dependent knowledge base and a domain independent knowledge base.
Virtual Reality technology
- The aim of this research activity is the application of
the Virtual Reality technology and the haptic devices in the games. The
introduction of the force feedback makes it possible to obtain a more
realistic simulation feeling the contact with the virtual objects.
Web Information System
- Design of the Web Information System is illustrated a
four layer architecture for the modern information systems in which the
logic of business process is not wired in the application logic but it is
managed in a level on purpose devoted.
- Augmented Reality enhances the user's perceptions in the
real world because the virtual objects, displaying information that the user
cannot directly detect with his senses, help him to perform better
- Spectroscopic Ellipsometer for the determination of the
optical constants, the thickness, roughness, morphologic and conpositional
uniformity of thin films, multilayers, and bulk of dielectric,
semiconductors, metallic and organic materials
Organic optical gas sensors
- Set-up for the characterization of organic optical gas
sensors (c/o CNR-IMM Lecce). Two optical fibers are used for the laser
excitation of the film and for the PL collection. The chemical composition
of the chamber atmosphere is controlled by mixing dry air with the different
analytes (In collaboration with Dr. R. Rella of CNR-IMM Lecce).